The mission of the Business Intelligence and Reporting Team (BIRT) in the Enterprise Applications Department of C&IT is to provide world-class information delivery for use in operational, tacticaland strategic reporting and analysis at Wayne State University.
- Integration of Cognos, ODS and EDW provides a complete solution for significantly improving institutional effectiveness and decision making. This integration provides immediate value by making it easier to follow trends, spot anomalies, compare information and make informed decisions for students, faculty, administrators, alumni and other constituents.
- Cognos is a reporting tool that end-users can utilize to create reports from the ODS and EDW.
- Reports, Dashboards, Cubes and Portals can be developed using the Cognos tool.
- The Operational Data Store (ODS) and Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) allow WSU to accumulate vast amounts of data that, when properly aggregated, contain valuable information our institution's performance.
- The ODS (data mart) is mainly for tactical or current data queries.
- The EDW (data warehouse) is largely used for data mining, historical and strategic or predictive analyses.
- Using this solution, WSU can take full advantage of the data stored in Banner by turning it into applied knowledge that can help in making informed decisions, guide strategic institutional planning and forecasting based on analysis of historical trends thereby enhancing WSU's performance.