It is impossible for C&IT to guarantee message delivery to external email providers (Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). These systems are outside C&IT’s control. C&IT works to resolve delivery problems with external email providers, but these situations often take several days to be resolved.
When C&IT becomes aware of delivery problems with external email providers:
- C&IT will attempt to email a notice to affected individuals (i.e., those that are forwarding to the external email provider).
- C&IT will post information about the problem on the computing.wayne.edu website under News.
- C&IT will send a campus-wide email notice only if a problem persists for 7+ days.
Fetch, don't forward:
If you do choose to use another email address regularly and don't want to check multiple email accounts, C&IT recommends that you setup your external email account to fetch a copy of your incoming WSU email using the POP protocol. This sidesteps delivery problems that occur when external email providers block email from WSU. See this C&IT Knowledge Base article for more information about this technique.
If you must forward your WSU email, be aware of these risks:
- Important email originating from WSU may be delayed or undelivered to your forwarding address.
- Bounceback notification policy is set by each external email provider, not by C&IT. Thus senders might not receive a notice that their message was not delivered.
- You are still responsible for reading your WSU email in a timely fashion.
How to set email forwarding:
You can use the Wayne Connect email forwarding feature to send your Wayne State email there. Check out this C&IT Knowledge Base article for more information.