C&IT's Network Engineering & Security department provides Domain Name Services (DNS) to the Wayne State University campus. DNS allows online resources to be accessed via commonly used names, such as www.wayne.edu.
- Assignment of static IP addresses
- Assignment of hostnames
- Management of domains
- Entries will be placed under the appropriate departmental sub-domain.
- Top level names (i.e. admmissions.wayne.edu) will be assigned only after consultation with the Director of Network Engineering & Security.
- We reserve the right to refuse to create names that are derogatory, contain offensive language or are misleading.
- Requests for entries to point to external hosting services must be requested by a Dean, Director or other similar authority and will be reviewed by the Director of Network Engineering & Security.
- We will not create or host DNS entries outside of the wayne.edu namespace. If you require a .com or other such name you will need to contract with an external hosting service.
- We will not create DNS reverse entries for host names registered with third parties.
- Entries for med.wayne.edu, eng.wayne.edu and cs.wayne.edu will be forwarded to the appropriate support persons within those areas.